We want to reveal you the most photogenic places in the Val d’Orcia, the best times to go and how to reach them by collecting everything in this mini photo guide.
For all photography enthusiasts and lovers of breathtaking landscapes here you will find our advices on where and when to capture the sweet profiles of Tuscany.
the best hours
As all photographers will tell you the best moments to shoot are the sunrise and the sunset also called golden hours.
The hour after dawn and the hour before sunset in fact everything is tinged with a sweet golden light that emphasizes the profiles of your subjects.
But in Val d’Orcia, then, when is it convenient to go and shoot? The sunrise is the most magical time to enjoy an incredible light, the sun’s rays pass through the morning mist, giving an almost mystical connotation to the whole landscape and, being that most tourists do not get up early in the morning to going to shoot, you will find yourself in these almost deserted places and you will have all the space at your disposal to look for the composition that best suits your vision.
So get out of bed and discover the most magical places in this beautiful valley.
The most photogenic places of val d’orcia
We list below the places that we loved most and that we believe are really the most evocative of the Val d’Orcia.
1. CIPRESSI DI SAN QUIRICO D’ORCIA: this place has a mystical beauty, you will arrive directly from the SR2, pull over and go up the hill that you will see in front of you. Once you get up there, an expanse of gentle hilly outlines will appear to your eyes and a little further on you will see the cypresses arranged in a circle, crossed by a small country road. Allow yourself time to appreciate the landscape that surrounds you and also take a picture of that horizon with its soft lines.
2. PODERE BELVEDERE: stop at the start of the rocky road that you will meet first. From there walk along the row of cypress trees and after 200 meters you will have a beautiful view of this magical farm on the top of the hill. Among olive and cypress trees, it is one of the emblems of the Tuscan hill landscape.
3. AGRITURISMO POGGIO COVILI: the famous avenue of cypresses that seems to have no end is right at the entrance of this agriturismo. Here you will probably also find some instagram addicted ready to take the most ‘liked’ photo from the web but, even from a side perspective, the alternation of shadows and lights along the adjacent field is worth a shot.
4. CAPPELLA DI VITALETA: a small chapel in the barren hills of the Val d’Orcia, a small pearl that you will find after leaving the car a few meters before and that will amaze you with its simple beauty.
5. PODERE BACCOLENO: this place is located among the Crete Senesi, a landscape different from the hills of the Val d’Orcia but which is worth seeing. A succession of cypress curves that leads to the farm going down the hill. The noise of crickets will be the only one to keep you company while you take pictures here.
These are the places that we loved most and that have remained in our hearts. We hope to have been helpful for your Tuscan photo tour, if you have any doubts or some photographic curiosity do not hesitate to write to us.